View Single Post
      07-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Quote:
That's an installation problem - not a defect...
Possibly, but that didn't exactly make sense to me. I had driven with those brakes for a few hundred miles and I hadn't heard the noise before. As soon as I started hearing it, it was pretty persistent. Based on the picture attached, I'd almost be forced to agree with you - someone jammed it in the wrong way and snapped the large clip. But from the circumstances - the noise starting a few hundred miles in with no real change in driving style - points me to it failing at some point.

Quote:
I think i know whats wrong. Mine did the same. You know how yhere is two pads per caliper? And based on the OEM pads, one of the pads has a clip that goes into the piston. Either cool carbon does have the clips or they (or one) broke off. What happens is the pads is rattling (in other words when griping the rotors theyre ramming the calipers making that sound.
Yup - this is what happened. The large clip wasn't pressing the pad against the piston to hold it in (springy) place when the brakes weren't applied.

From what I was told, there were no problems driving it around until I got replacements. In the meantime, I called BavAuto to request replacement, and they sent me a new set. I'll have the same shop replace them and see if I have any more luck. I'm sure they'll be fine and that this was just a fluke - whether it be an install problem or a defective pad.

Funny thing - my shop charges $50 per axle to install brakes (and they're a pretty good place despite this potential muck-up) whereas the dealer will charge $230. Just a little bit of markup there.
Attached Images

Last edited by mimarcos; 07-14-2014 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Mixed up piston and caliper
Appreciate 0