View Single Post
      02-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
No, they won't rub, even the Star Spec which runs wide doesn't rub in those sizes. But the 245/40 and 275/35 are better suited to an 8.5" (or 9" front wheel), and a 9.5" (or 10" rear wheel). While they'd "fit", the measured rim size for the front is 8.5", and rear is 9.5" for those size tires. Go smaller than that and you're not getting the entire contact patch, not getting what you paid for in performance out of the tire, and may be in for some disappointment.

My personal experience running the Michelin PSS at the track in those sizes with stock wheels was horrible. Temps in the middle of tire were much higher than the inside or outside, and no amount of pressure adjustments could correct it. Basically the tire "bunched up" in the middle. We put the PSS on properly size wheels and the difference is night and day. It might be possible to get away with this with a very stiff sidewalled tire like the Star Spec (folks running the 245/275 with that tire don't seem to have major issues), but it's far from optimal. FWIW, the widest tire I'd run on stock wheels is a 235/40 and 265/35.
THANKS!! i did neglect to think about the contact part.