View Single Post
      05-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
KevsZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0

So I got her. Already named her too. Zelda. Fun fact - Etymology of the name hearkens back to the German name Salida, which means Joy. So on a related note, I'll probably hum the Legend of Zelda tune every time I start her up now.
(ok,with that, I met my nerd quotient for the day)

After putting in some time, everything is checking out nicely. (other than the top, just like everyone else)

I found out that her headlight bracket is broken (which most likely caused the HID bulb to burn out. BMW makes a repair kit, because apparently they dont know how to engineer a headlight housing in the first place. This seems to be a rampant issue among Z's 3's and X5's. I plan to remove the other working HID bulb and test it in the broken housing one to make sure its not the ballast. Has anyone tried the 15 dollar ebay HID's? I am going to get a pair, and replace at the same time.

I have some work ahead of me with the interior trim pieces that are scratched/cracked/missing. Anyone worked with the 3M vinyl stuff? Looks easy enough, and I am pretty good that those kinds of things.

Cosmetics and lights aside, its running like a champ.

I reset the SMG "learned" shift patterns by doing the '40 MPH, neutral and pull the paddles trick", and within two 10 minute driving sessions I noticed a huge difference. The previous owner must have had no idea how to use this gearbox. Now its buttah smoove.

One problem I am encountering with the SMG though is it skips a gear frequently when I downshift- usually 4 to 2. completely disregards 3rd gear. I dont know what thats about, unless the car is anticipating that I will brake much harder. Anyone got any insight?

This thing really is a pleasure to drive though. I am looking forward to getting it on some back roads, and maybe even track days.

So the big question is, after I get everything in tip top shape... whats my first mod!? Its a meaningless one, but I am thinking about replacing the lame SMG shift knob. What other suggestions?

Appreciate 0