View Single Post
      11-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #35
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
yeah my wording is wrong, i was wrong, they use a helical gearset which increases impellar speeds 1:15, i believe they spin up alot faster than my giant vortech does, CFM is alot lower however...... my main point is the "turbo" like sound these asa units make.

AFAIK, they have to be specified with the "clutch system" as an optional extra, looking at the gpower site the clutch is a payable option.

Always was a fan of the ESS CFR range, i really thought that was a solid kit tbh......
All the applications have clutches on them. You wont see an ASA blower on a BMW other then Gpower anymore. Gpower and ASA are one company and they don't sell to BMW tuners anymore.

All superchargers have internal step ups, they all spin at 100,000 + RPMs you would need a crank pulley bigger then the car and a tiny blower pulley to achieve those speed without an internal step up gearset.

Your vortech blower is designed with a much lower impeller speed, where as the ASA is a much higher. It's different theories of design, large impeller low speeds or small impellar high speeds. Each has their benefit and downside on providing better torque or HP, efficiency or fuel economy.