View Single Post
      05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
After further review with the templates on the front wheels (I used back wheels yesterday), they will not clear the factory 18" wheels without spacers. To me it looks like I probably need 12mm spacers to get enough clearance for the calipers. Anyone see any problems with this?
The front end of the MZ4 Coupe is very sensitive to changes in offset via spacers. Especially at the 12mm range, MAKE SURE that your spacer has a proper hub extender to make sure the wheel mounts hub centric otherwise you'll have front end vibration to no end. Don't get spacers that has the hub extrusion machined in or built into the lip, since there really isn't enough material there (I've seen quite a few failures where the lip simply sheared off). 12mm is right at the edge of where a lip built into the spacer does not have enough material. I'd go 15mm if you can't get a hub extender to fit, and bolt the 15mm to the wheel hub and then bolt the wheels to the spacers.

Regardless, it would NOT be my choice to move the wheel out 15mm, since it can potentially have a very negative effect on the scrub radius. However, if this is strictly for appearance sake, knock yourself out.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0