View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Thanks for the tip! I usually go out for gas once every track day, so will try to add the brake-free driving to the mix. Let me know if your hack (lol) with the chamfered edges helps at all. For now, what I've been doing is using brake cleaner and steel wool to clean out the rotors before every pad change and then re-bed accordingly.

How's the diesel motor on the track? The low-end torque must be fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Looking good.

Usually if you experience fade later in the day (like session 3 or 4 out of a 5 session day) it's typically heat accumulation in the system SOMEWHERE. Try this. After each session, drive around on the street around the track or in the paddocks, using as little brake as possible, for up to 5 minutes to allow the rotors to spin and continue to siphon off heat from the system. Unless you're doing back to back sessions this usually will cure 99% of all brake fade ills.

The issue with the vibration and deposit is common. I don't want to say normal, but I've noticed that the slots on the open slot design on the RB rotor is not chamfered, and the majority of the deposit I see follow the trailing edge of the slots. I've taken a Dremel with a grinding stone and created chamfered edges, hopefully it alleviates it because the deposit comes back no matter how many times I scrub the rotor surface or bed it with a track pad after it's washed and rusted. The straight up, 90 degree edge of the slots created an edge for the pads to deposit on. At least that's my theory. If the deposit issue goes away after the next 2 track days this year, I will bring up my finding to RB and see if they'll look into chamfering the slots.

But I suspect it's just the way *I* drive. Our 335D has the same issue, 2 days at Laguna Seca and crazy pad deposit issues, bad enough for my mechanic to tell me I need new rotors.

By the way, took me a while to figure out what those straight line patterns are on the rotor. They're from the last car wash, typically I go on a high speed drive after each wash so I can put some heat into the rotors to dry and scrub off the rust. This last time I got lazy, just washed, waxed, and then a quick jaunt around the block. There must have been water accumulation somewhere that dripped down when the car was parked.
Appreciate 0