View Single Post
      07-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #42
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

OK, I ran again Autox again today. This time with the BMW group on a much larger asphalt surface. Speeds were higher hitting 3rd gear on the backsside and top of 2nd gear several times. At the faster speeds my balance was much better with the square setup. Much easier to excert throttle oversteer. Overall a little understeer but not to bad, easily corrected with the right foot.

One thing I had a major problem with was shifting. First run out started off in first gear, tried to go to second in the turn and was denied. Had to for 3rd. Over and over I had problems shifting. Mainly when in 3rd I could not get back to second in hard braking or turning or about anything during the run. I was able to do it but not anywhere near when I wanted to. After the run I could do it no problem at all.

I talked to everyone with E36 and E46 M3's, I was the only Z4M. All of them had upgraded their transmission mount bushings to the harder ones, most had had this same problem with their car. I guess than is in my future, I know there is a thread on this board about it. I did get the 1-2 grind at last weeks autoX.

Overall the car was an absolute blast to drive today, felt much better. But very fustrating towards the end trying to get from 3rd to 2nd. Cost me easily 1.5 seconds or more.
Appreciate 0