01-07-2015, 02:04 AM   #25
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Let's just say that is far from definitive , My engine builder has used the ATI dampers before for customers and let's just say they are not necessarily bolt on and forget it options .They had to "tune "them .FYI the damper and pulley with the ATI is one piece so the supercharger pulley wouldn't work , and a one off custom job def could have issues . The damper is such an important piece for the motor ,( like the dual mass flywheel ) that the builder and myself have decided to stick with OEM. ATI makes quality products though , I'm in the OEM whenever possible phase based on my experieces at this point .
I actually got the ATI damper but after taking a look at it, i figured that it wouldn't be a simple bolt on. The damper is 3.6 mm thicker than the OEM damper and is designed and dyno tested to run the S54 at 11000 RPM if all the other internals can take it

I would need either a new supercharger pulley that is 3.6mm inwards in the direction of the crankshaft or i would need a set of 3.6mm washers to put on all other pulleys.

There's also some weight difference that would create some glitches with our OEM-like tunes, I figured that it won't simply work without a hassle. i could be wrong.

I end up not installing it since the OEM damper practically looked like new knowing that i don't spend 100% of the time near 8000 RPM and i also retained the dual mass flywheel.
Appreciate 0