Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
Going back under for another oil change. Since the last time around (when I first posted), I bought the oil filter cap wrench/adapter, which should help.

I'm seriously considering a Mityvac to avoid going under the car again. I didn't like my jackstand placements last time. The Jeep rolled off TWO jacks simultaneously once and landed on a brake rotor. Thankfully I wasn't underneath at the time, but I'm always nervous about less-than-bombproof placements when it comes to jackstands. Comments/opinions on the Mityvac are encouraged.

Also, I'm looking all over and finding all kinds of opinions on which brand of oil and filter to use. Last time, I used Castrol Syntec 0/40 and (I think) Mann filter. Should I be using OEM instead? Or maybe Redline?
What engine do you have? Can you even use a Mityvac? No dipstick = no Mityvac. I've been using the Mityvac on both my Z4 and X5 since their "free maintenance" expired - love the "no mess" oil changes.

Any name brand full synthetic oil should be fine. I wouldn't stress too much over any particular brand as long as it's the correct viscosity. For my M54 X5, I buy whatever that is on sale and easy to get. This usually means it's Mobil1 5w30 or 0w40 (preferred) from Walmart I've tried Redline once on the Z4, oil analysis showed no difference (wear-wise) compared to the OE Castrol TWS. So, I'm going back to Castrol TWS as that's easier to get since O'reilly started carrying it.

Last edited by XMetal; 06-17-2015 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0