View Single Post
      04-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #20
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax008 View Post
Emotion, joy and enjoyment cover how I feel driving my Z. My first car was a 1967 Mustang with 98,000 miles on it, when I started the car smoke came out the tail pipe.Cars that had 100,000 miles were ready for the scrap yard and I can't seem to get over the 100,000 mile mark. Thanks for the reply.
Vehicles reliability has really changed over the years. I work on vehicles with well over 200K all the time. The difference is, at that mileage, you can really see how the vehicle has been treated. Some are still immaculate and with no major mechanical issues while others you simply fix the immediate problem so it can continue till its next break down. If the car is properly maintained, which it sounds like you do, 100k is no issue. I purchased my 2003 3.0i last year with 89k. Just turned 100k last week as this is my daily driver since my Silverado gets 16mpg. It had 5 previous owners, and was probably less maintained than yours sounds like it is. Issues I have taken care of, coolant reservoir cracked at 91k, changed manual trans and diff fluid, even though BMW says lifetime (highly recommended for auto trans also), just fixed oil leak at oil filter housing to block, 100k service (plugs, CCV system, pre-cat O2 sensors), I have valve cover gasket and VANOS seal kit to install as preventative maintenance, not for problem. Thermostat housing is stained from coolant, getting ready to order thermostat and water pump. Noticed small tear in intake boot while changing CCV valve and hoses, ordering today.

The point is that your Z will probably drop less in value between 55k and 100k than whatever you replace it with will in the first year. None of these repairs are major, and are expected with mileage. If you plan for them, spread them out over time, they are pretty much painless and a lot less than the payments on a new vehicle. Ultimately the choice is yours. Purchase a new vehicle and enjoy the peace of mind of the warranty or keep what you have obviously grown to love and with a little TLC, continue to drive it for another 55k plus.
Appreciate 0