View Single Post
      08-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I thought the same thing but after testing it there's no problem with volume. My feeling is that the cell phone won't switch the output to the headphone cord unless it measures resistance. So plugging the cord into only the phone and it sees resistance in each loop.
But once I've plugged it into the aux in, it becomes path of least resistance. Which I'm guessing is through the head unit's electronics. Which is of such low impedance that the phone thinks its an open loop and switches back to it's internal speaker(s) before this mod.
I played a couple of songs and no immediate problems. I'll try and feel the resistors through the insulation after a long drive to see if they are warm, which would definitely indicate they are handling current. But unfortunately, I can't say that if they are cold that they aren't stealing juice like you suggest. But like I said above, it seems to have no effect on volume.

If anyone wants to test the hypothesis, try putting a resistor on one loop only. If the left plays louder than the right, or vice versa, then we'll know this to be the truth. I'm thinking the phone will think a broken stereo headset was attached or that a single earpiece was attached and still kick over to headphone output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
The problem I see with this is that your volume through the car would be horrible. All the power that should be delivered to the AUX input would now be dissipated by the resistors and very little power actually gets transmitted to the car's AUX input.

Last edited by sipman; 08-18-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0