Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffchaPz View Post
Monster If I were you, I would get a tune and put the put the O2 bungs and EGT on the new headers. leave the section 1 alone.... that will make things a lot easier. Believe me, bringing your section 1 to shop to get those 3 things welded and then running the O2s all the way to the back of the cats and putting everything together is a mayor pain below the lower back.

Think about it, let's say one of your post O2 sensors goes bad... now you have remove sec1 plus loosen up or remove sect 2 off the mufflers....etc etc.

If you have money to pay a shop to do all of these.... then ignore what I wrote. If you are planning to do it in your garage.... then make it easier on you.

PS, I was told by ESS that I cold run the car with no cats what so ever - so technically it doesn't matter if the post O2s are after the cats from sec 1 or next to the pre cat O2s.

I've been getting error code p2096 for the past 8 months and it looks like I have a small air leak coming from my bank 1 sensor 2. I had a shop do a smoke test on the car and they couldn't find any leaks around the engine. So now we have to bring everything down to check and weld around the post O2s again.... feel my pain?

Good luck
Isn't it true that if he mods section 1 and puts the O2 after the cat that he can then skip on the tune and run the car without errors and be 100% smog compliant? This is useful if he or any future owner has to pass smog and/or doesn't want to run a tune. I thought I read that even with the tune it may not be smog compliant if the rear sensors aren't after a cat.

I don't see possible future O2 sensor failure being that likely to happen and if they do the difference in the two repairs being that big of a deal.
You're correct. You can run all day error-free with no tune. However, why not optimize your mods? That's the no-brainier approach IMO anyways.
I just imported my car (made it Canadian), and had to revert to my stock tune for coding purposes. I was left unimpressed and will be changing back to my 94oct tune ASAP. The difference is day/night. G/L with your decision.
Appreciate 0