View Single Post
      09-21-2022, 07:54 PM   #11
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
I see, I thought the rubber bushing would still be able to move. Seems like a PITA problem and another reason to ditch the stock bushings. Why are you removing them, are they needing to be replaced? How many miles on the vehicle?

Sorry, in that case, I don't know how you are going to install them that way. When I did mine I just used adjustable camber arms that have monoballs, not bushings and monoballs on the upper inner control arm also. Then you won't have this problem and you will also get better performance if you are going to change them out anyway you might as well go for an upgrade. I replaced mine because I don't like rubber bushings not because they were worn. The benefit you get is zero deflection.
I'm replacing all rubber bushings in the car, it has 91,000mi at the moment so time for a complete refresh.
Once I get it back together I will jack up the car and rest the tires on 4 one foot blocks of wood so that the whole weight is on all bushings then climb under and tighten everything.

There are some benefits to solid bushings as you say but also draw backs, noise, vibration, harshness.
All the fun cars I have owned for the past 30 odd yrs have had poly and solid mounts/bushings.
Great for the track, tolerable for a young guy on the street but I have hit the age where I'm done with that.
I still want a powerful car that handles well but with a bit more comfort.

Besides, fresh rubber bushings are a lot crisper than 14 yr old rubber with 91,000mi on them.