View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

She's gone!

Well the unthinkable happened...

I sold my Z4 for a the worlds most boring car: A Prius. And not just any Prius, the emasculating station wagon model.

A few factors:
  • My wife and I are expecting our second baby! She (or he) is due May 4th.
  • My wife's company office moved 20 miles further from home, but she gets to telecommute on most Fridays. So add 160 miles per week in commute.
  • Her 2005 Infiniti FX35 gets about 19MPG. She was spending about $85 a week, more when she has to take extra trips to babysitter. When gas prices spiked there were a few $96 fill ups!!
  • The stiff ride was brutal to my daughter. Roads around here are terrible. There a rough road on the way to baby sitter where I could see my poor chubby daughter's cheeks jiggle.
  • Our finances can't justify having the Z4 as a third car.

Since we've had the Prius:
  • Most days my wife drives it to and makes it back home in time for me to drive it to my evening job. The Prius makes two 35 mile round trips 4 days a week.
  • We've averaged 49MPG. Late at night I can drive the last 5 miles of back roads on pure electric at about 25MPH.
  • Insurance is $320 cheaper per year (this really shocked me).
  • Room for future baby.
  • Holy crap TONS of space for Costco runs. There's more space in this car than the FX35.
  • The car is so quiet, even at freeway speeds, you can hear a passenger's stomach growl. My daughter really likes the ride.

I gotta admit I'm heart broken. The Z4 was my first German car and I was bracing for a little basket of problems. What I got was a reliable awesome ride (there were a few glitches covered under warranty). I had the top down 80% of the time and it was the perfect car for me (when it's just me). I averaged 28MPG, which is pretty awesome for a inline-6. It was easy to work on and the build quality of how the car came apart and went together was awesome, albeit frustrating at times.

Shameless plug:
I do have some maintenance items and a OEM wind diffuser for sale.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763285

I'm really going to miss you guys. The Prius owner forum is filled with people bragging about their MPGs and complaining about tire wear.

I've felt very connected with this group and contributed a few DIY articles.

I also launched my embroidery business full time in the time I was here. Business has been going really well and I'm down for another hoodie or hat project (the cap project didn't go anywhere and died quietly). Now is the perfect time for a custom jackets.

I'm going to stay and lurk every so often. Please keep in touch!
Appreciate 0