View Single Post
      12-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #26
Mike Clark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR & 2008 328i Sedan

The 1 M Coupe weighs in about 100 more pounds than an M Coupe. The 1 M Coupe has 10 more hp than an M Coupe. That gives the M Coupe a very slight advantage in hp, but the big difference is in torque. 332 for the 1 M versus 262 for the M Coupe. With all that extra torque the 1 M should power out of a turn much quicker and just generally be quicker. It builds its steam up at a much lower rpm. From the pics, it appears to have the same CSL brakes as the M Coupe, so should stop as fast. So overall, if you wanted the same or better performance than an M Coupe and wanted to take your little ones in the back seat, there you go. If the base price tag holds true at $45,000 it will be a very nice package for a lot of people that couldn't afford the price of admission for a new M3.
If I already had an M Coupe and didn't need the extra seats, I would stick with the M Coupe until it is worn out. I guess that's the purist in me going back to the days of checking your oil with a dipstick, sticking a key into the ignition, and navigation is something the passenger does.