12-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
No way in hell will it come in lighter than the current 135i, which already weighs 3,450 lbs.

It'll probably weigh 3,600 lbs. 0-60 won't be mid to low 4's either. If BMW ///Marketing is anything to go by, the 1M will barely scratch 4.7 as the official number. They're not stupid enough to make a 1er faster than their M3 in 0-60 time.
Probably a good guess at the weight. The E9x series M3 weighs more (IIRC about 150 lbs more) than the E9x 3 series. Stronger sub-frame, other things to stiffen things up, etc... And no, they're not going to undercut the next model "up" (M3) in terms of 0-60 bragging rights. (Although with a tune I'm sure it will get the job done and then some.)

I have to admit I kind of like the way it looks, and that fact it's smaller than the M3. I hope they fixed the tendency to understeer that was characterstic to the 135 (probably did). But the weight goes against my grain (my subjective opinion). I really haven't found a car that's over 3,200 pounds that I find a lot of joy in driving. They can be comfortable, go very fast, but the laws of physics make it such that weight always gets in the way of what for me is a fun-factor in a car....

If BMW can get around the following then future offerings may be interesting:
  • Weight
  • Size (everything keeps getting bigger and of course heavier)
  • Revs (running out of steam as the revs climb is boring as hell, and I like having 8K revs to play with)
  • Heat (BMW's track record, pun intended, isn't good with turbo/heat = limp)
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump (things fail like crazy and no fix yet)
Until then the Z4M is the best BMW option I can see that's available for my needs.
Appreciate 0