GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post

heres the info from the man himself....

I hope this helps.
Strangely this guy only talks about the vibration caused by the engine running, but those vibrations are almost negligible in force. (I also don't understand why he gives acceptable stress in buildings as an exemple, a car is much stronger)

I was worried about/my point being the engine jerking around in the engine bay, caused by bumps and turns. Especially the s54 is a relative heavy engine with it's cast iron block.
Just like a very stiff shock absorber can damage the chassis with large bumps wheras a softer shock would have cushend the blow (resulting is less peak force).
Those blows are much much harder than the max 30mm/s that the engine vibration @high rpm may produce (a nice bump can lift the chassis what.... 3cm? in 1/4 of a second? So that's 120mm/s (average; the movement is sinusoide, so peak is even higher), which is over 4(!) times the vibrations caused by the engine. And I don't know what balance shifts in short corners do, but it makes the engine wiggle around pretty much)
Maybe he misunderstood or so.

For the record: I'm not saying that it will be a problem, but the answer from that guy doesn't cover the load of the question imho
All I know is that stiffening up your car usually comes at a price. Stiffer springs, stiffer antiroll bars, stiffer suspension bushings... they all put bigger strain on the chassis, and sometimes it cracks over time, so imho it's best to keep an eye on those mods to see if the future brings any of these effects. These things don't happen over night.

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-18-2013 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0