View Single Post
      03-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Battery drain from Nav

I have had this problem for years and my battery would go flat if not charged every few days. So I finally got around to investigating it further while the vehicle is off the road.

This is a real common issue if you do a search. Not just in our cars but all BMW models. My problem was that I was getting a parasitic draw of around 0.5A.

By pulling fuses, I tracked the offending circuit to Fuse 49. This controls the Nav and TCU circuits. Then by pulling modules I found that it was the SatNav drive that was not going to sleep.

Although I no longer use it, I could not pull the Nav Drive because that controls the display screen with other vital info. As I mentioned it was pulling >0.5A when the ignition was off as the module would not go to sleep sometimes.

My solution was to wire in a 5-Pin relay on a switched ignition circuit (I had a spare slot of Fuse #2) to the offending Fuse #49. Now, she sits at 50mA which is considered normal for these cars.

Pin 85 Ground
Pin 86 Switched 12V
Pin 87 Fuse #49
Pin 30 Fuse #49

Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 2
XMetal1148.00
3798j11563.00