View Single Post
      01-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #77
aznbo187
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 128, E91 328, E70 X5d

I'll contact some of the resources I've worked with in the past to see what we can do.

The reason why most vendors don't tackle this, nor manufacturers, is due to the limited market. Not only that, but the percentile of enthusiasts looking to swap bumpers is usually not worth it to them compared to the other M models.
Anyway, I'll make a few calls and shoot a few e-mails this coming week.

In the meantime, let's get some feedback so I know what we can aim for.

Material:
Fiberglass is probably the most realistic option. Polypropylene is probably the most desired, but unrealistic as the mold cost would drive the cost up a decent amount. Carbon Fiber is also do-able, but I doubt anyone wants CF for a front bumper that will be painted.

Paint and fitment:
Pre-painted parts are convenient, but there may always be a minuscule discrepancy from UV exposed paint to fresh paint that you want to keep in mind. Is the convenience more important or would you rather have an un-painted part that your body shop can paint match and fit?

Bumper options: There are three options right now. One being the original E9X M3 retrofit. Two, the M3-Replica bumper (this is the M3 bumper replica that non-M E9x owners retrofit on their 325,328, 335). And lastly, the 1M style bumper retrofit.

Personal opinion.
Original M3 due to the subtle and yet correct proportions. Looks OEM on the car and lost more aftermarket support in terms of front lips and splitters. The M3 Replica grill/fog area looks too "tall". 1M-style is too aggressive for a daily. Also, different era of designers.

Pricing:
What price range are you okay with? Being realistic here is the key.

Pictures below:
Original M3 Retrofit

Non-M3 Retrofit

1M Style Retrofit
Appreciate 0