10-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
After 3 years in the Coupe and getting very comfortable behind the wheel, I'm looking into prepping it a bit and do some amateur tracking.

I'm planning the following mods, for safety more than anything:
1) coilovers
2) big brake kit
3) 19" racing wheels -- I realize 19" may be frowned upon at the track but the Coupe is my daily driver as well and I want it to remain in hybrid track/road trim.

A couple questions about tires...
1) Can tires be unmounted and remounted or is that not recommended?
2) What do y'all think of Hankook Ventu V12 on the track?

Any additional advice is welcome. But yes, I know I need to attend a clinic first, in fact any club you join requires it. Currently I'm looking at Northern California Racing Club and Speed Ventures. Any others I should check out?

Thanks!
Sorry but I don't think any of the mods you listed above will improve upon safety.

The stock suspension is more than enough for your first few track days if not your first season or two. And for a car that's going to be your daily, I see this as only a bigger issue in terms of bottoming out and what not.

The big brake kit's only advantage is unsprung weight (which is alot to pay up for), and fade resistance. But the latter can be addressed through better pads & fluid.

Unless you're going forged, 19's are heavy as heck and will only add more rotating mass.

I don't see what the issue of mounting/remounting but if you plan on doing multiple track days, you're probably better off a) getting a dedicated track wheel setup or b) just use tires that can be used for both street/track - which in that case the Hankook v12s would suffice for both.

End of day, the car in stock form is more than you can handle and there's no reason to upgrade any parts until you have exceeded the limits of the car (on the track, not street). Plus you'll free up a lot more money for future track days!