View Single Post
      10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Track is different though I think. Heat buildup over a 20-25 minute session is different than managing tires autoX. Sure, it's possible to chew/chunk the tires, but extended high duration heat isn't an issue. I think you're running updated bars too, and IIRC some shots I've seen show those helping to manage the tires in front yes?

Krypptic also has the Aero, which is effectively putting more weight on the outside edge increasing friction/heat on that one area of the tire. (Not helping matters but not the cause either.)

Even with -2.7 degrees my right front Star Specs are more worn (with a bit of overheating) on the outside edge and pyrometer confirms its a bit overcooked too. (The track I run on is predominately left hand turns with some long sweepers.) I think I need -3.0 to -3.5 to balance the load and/or different springs/bars. PSS might not handle this as well as the Star Spec (compound, tread block size/squirm) but still, settings aren't optimal for the track/car/driver.
I'm running a 30mm front bar at medium stiffness.

Here is a decent shot of it on the track over Madness at Mid-Ohio

Anyways, a lot of the E82 guys are experiencing the same issues at the track and/or autocross. One day and the tires (PSS) are roasted and chunking.

The car may not be set up for optimal use of any street tire, but I'm sure ZIIs, Rivals and RS3s would tolerate the abuse.

Heat build-up isn't the same through AutoX or Track, but autocrosses can certainly rack up as much heat cycles as the track, if not more.

Main point - the PSS tire isn't good for any type of abuse beyond the street. If the tires were one of the higher performing tires on the market, the tires may have worn on the outside edges quickly, but at least they would go to the cords instead of chunking on fresh tread.
Appreciate 0