08-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

angel eyes wiring

Hello,

Some of you might know that I have Umtinza Orion V2 LED angel eyes installed?

I would like to share what I have done and also need your help.

Note: This not exactly a DIY, but might be useful information. So don't blame me if you screwed things up. Sorry in advance for my English language.

How they look like:
This a close picture I took long time ago. It had to be close because my phone camera sucks:
Name:  DSC_0008.jpg
Views: 4295
Size:  215.9 KB

Cutting the housing story:
For many it's a horror to cut their headlights open, but for me it was an easy decision because my headlights looked like crap already.

Definitely they can't be bake to open as you already might know. So I started by breaking/cutting the black plastic surrounding the outside edge of the clear cover. Then I used sharp knife to cut the OEM super seal glue. After I got them open it was a good chance to polish my clear lenses inside/out, so sent them to a special shop.

Fitting the angel eyes:
A pic of how it is installed inside the headlight.
Name:  DSC_0249.JPG
Views: 3952
Size:  159.9 KB
I have glued them on the chrome housing, so they lineup behind the OEM clear plastic rings. I scraped the chrome underneath so it sticks well. The inner plastic ring is smaller than the inner LED ring, the outer plastic ring is a perfect match for the outer LED ring. So at different view angels the inner one would show less light through.
Another problem is the outer LED ring is too thick to sandwich in between, so I broke top two clips of the inner housing to push it outside to give space for the outer LED ring.

Wiring the rings inside:
Got rid of the OEM bulb with its connector, and used its wires: white with white, brown with brown. So no hassle in wiring.

Other things:
Opened the markers housing and removed the orange glass. I couldn't find chrome bulbs that lit orange to replace my OEM orange bulbs, so I covered them with chrome tint, and it works fine. Luckily for the side markers I found chrome bulbs.

Installing the headlights back:
For the first time I used silicon to seal, but my advice is never use silicon no matter how high quality it is, it will always make a mess and won't seal properly, and it's difficult to open again.
After many failed tries I used butyl glue tape, which is easy to work, seals properly if installed correctly, and can be opened again easily.

Issues:
1) With this setup the angel eyes strobe lightly when in ignition before starting the car, this is due the car is checking for any bad bulbs.
2) I get "bulb out" warning coming on and off frequently while driving.
3) Angel eyes flickering all the time while engine is ON only. This what bothers me the most.

In order to overcome these issues I have decided to use the relay/wiring harness. The kit I got from Umtinza is similar to this, except for some wire colors:

(Replace "Brown trigger wire" with yellow and "Red trigger wire" with white)

I wired as the following diagram (I made it )
Name:  angel_eyes.jpg
Views: 13951
Size:  94.0 KB

white stripe/green wire was traced from the driver headlight connector going in to the ecu box.

white stripe/blue wire was traced from passenger headlight connector going in to the firewall.

I am not sure if the yellow wire and white wire are correct or should be opposite?

brown negative wires can be found on the way, but I used the ground collecting points on the suspension struts.

I mounted relay near charging point. Is that safe?

For positive power supply I used the alternator/battery charging point.
For ground used a ground point above the steering.

Results (Mostly not good):
1) The light strobe the angel eyes had before starting engine has disappeared.
2) "Bulb out" warning is there all time. Did not disappear.
3) Flickering has reduced by about 90%, and 99% when xenon is on. Not sure why?
4) The most annoying problem that relay is clicking at fast rate and making loud noise that can be heard from cabin while doors and windows closed. I feel like there is an angry bee inside my car.

Now, I did some tests to find where is my mistake, and here is what I found:

Connected white wire:
-Engine off: relay clicks once, angel eyes on without flickering 100%
-Engine on: relay clicks rapidly, angel eyes on without flickering 90%

Connected yellow wire:
-Engine off: no relay click, angel eyes on without flickering 90%
-Engine on: no relay click, angel eyes on with flickering like previous setup.

I measured voltage also:
-At white wire there is drop when angel eyes are on. Engine Off=12VDC, Engine On=8VDC.
-At yellow wire there is no drop when angel eyes are on. Engine Off/On=12VDC.
There is no voltage drop when the relay is removed.

So what's causing the problem? Is it the relay it self?
Should I change to a different rating? If so please direct me.

Or revert back to old simple wiring and return the bulb to be parallel with angel eyes? Or some kind of resistor?

Please help me.
Appreciate 0