onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Tomorrow, I'm going to the half-day formula car program that they have
Couldn't justify the $4k+ for the 3-day course. The only thing that really appealed to me was the fact that I could potentially get signed off for an SCCA race license.

But I figure I'm almost good enough anyway on my own to get one of those licenses, via a different route; namely NASA. Because my very first instructor from the first time I went out to track is a NASA instructor, and he says he can sign me off the next time we meet (provided that I've improved as much as I've been telling him of course )
Plus, this alternate way is much cheaper
An instructor can sign you off to Solo, however for the racing license you either have to attend one of the approved schools (Skip Barber, Bondurant,etc) or attend a SCCA club racing school. This will get you a regional racing license (after sending in the appropriate forms, physical, etc) then after 2 additional races you are eligible for a National license. I just received mine last week, but in order to maintain it you must continue racing, so for this aspect only the schools it's not 100% worth it, but combined with the learning experience and smooth driving style you can develop with the formula cars it's an added plus.