View Single Post
      03-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #18
Rokkuman
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 AW

Whatever helmet you go with of course it will be safe, compared to not wearing nothing at all. The OP can't go wrong buying a regulation helmet. I honestly am a true believer of, you get what you pay for. wether you get a snell or an Fia rated helmet for say 500 or compared to 1000 dollars, those extra features are what makes your driving experience good or bad. You pay more to have a helmet custom fit to your head, less you have to worry about how uncomfortable it is driving with a helmet, (not everybodies head is the same shape) ,not only do you get those extra features but in all honesty you do get a safer helmet. Most of the lower end helmet models will only do enough to pass the standards and will not exceed them. Some Higher end helmets do go above the standards and offer more comfort. I can share this, the carbon fiber helmet I offered at x company had an expanded polypropylene liner, it would take shock load really well, I have seen some helmets use styrofoam liners. Styrofoam, on impact can possibly only take one hit, as to were the expanded polypropylene liner can take several. When doing these standards testing and you can see them possibly on YouTube or the snell or fia website, you see most of those test only take one impact. They drop the helmet onto different shaped metal objects. They shoot the visor with a pellet gun. Just to see if it pierces the helmet. But let's say you are racing and your car flips. How many times is your helmet going to hit the roll cage or any object that is close to your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Helmet's range in price from $100 to many thousands of dollars. If two helmets meet the same safety standard (both are either open face or both are full face), besides additional features that normally come with the higher priced models (light weight, additional venting, face shield options), would you expect the more expensive model is safer?

In the OP's example he gets a Bell helmet for a reasonable price and it meets current regs. If he bought a helmet for 3 times as much would it be safer? My guess is we really don't know but significantly safer is unlikely.
Appreciate 0