03-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkuman View Post
Regardless of what you choose both will protect your head from injury, when it comes to open face and full face helmet, me preferably I will always choose a full face helmet, most people who buy helmets only think about roll overs and crashes, but hardly ever think about fires. In the case of the open face helmet you can buy a balaclava. Wether you go with a snell or fia rated helmet, both go through their trials and tests. Fia being a world standard and snell being a U.S standard for helmet safety. Never use a motorcycle Hemet, I'm sure you won't most sanctioning bodies are getting tougher with safety. I worked for a safety supplier and some of the products we offered was a full carbon fiber helmet. Really light, really durable. We also offered open face helmets. Both helmets that we offered were custom fit to your head, so there is a helmet out there where you can change the pads to fit snug. I no longer work for that company but I can answer any question you might have regarding helmet safety, I'm not here to sell anything but I do have a good relationship with that company. So any questions feel free to ask.��
Helmet's range in price from $100 to many thousands of dollars. If two helmets meet the same safety standard (both are either open face or both are full face), besides additional features that normally come with the higher priced models (light weight, additional venting, face shield options), would you expect the more expensive model is safer?

In the OP's example he gets a Bell helmet for a reasonable price and it meets current regs. If he bought a helmet for 3 times as much would it be safer? My guess is we really don't know but significantly safer is unlikely.