View Single Post
      03-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't think anyone is talking about roll-overs.

BUT in the case where you do get into an accident (god forbid), two things you'll need to be aware of. One, the airbag is going to punch you in the face like a heavyweight UFC fighter. If you've never seen the aftermath of an airbag deployment, go look it up. It's not pretty. Airbags are there to save your life, not to prevent injury. Two, there are other things to hit in an accident. It's not that we get into accidents all the time on track or on autocross course, but you want to be protected to the best of your abilities when sh*t hits the fan. I once had a piece of tire rubber hit my face-shield on track, and I drive a coupe with a full-face helmet...I can only imagine what THAT would feel like at 120 mph on track.

All that said, WHAT IS YOUR NOGGIN WORTH? That is the most simple and basic question you must answer. My philosophy? Buy the most EXPENSIVE helmet you can reasonably afford. It's worth it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0