View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 01:26 PM   #13
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
According to BMW TIS the crankshaft bearing clearances are similar, they're actually slightly tigher on the S54.
ok, but the crankshaft bearings don't have any problems. They also aren't exposed to enormous G forces. That is what's critical about rod bearings. And the S54 is of course higher revving, and the crank stroke is also bigger (91mm vs 89mm), and those alterations increase g forces squared, so also the chance of cavitation erosion wear, what is happening in the rodbearings.
But in truth I couldn't tell whether a thicker or thinner oil gives more cavitation under high g forces. And part of that cavitation might not even be caused in the rodbearings themselves as the pressure regulator piston in the S54 also wears, so that's bouncing around like crazy too.

Quote:
My S54 in the E46 M3 doesn't have an oil thermostat
Have you removed the oil thermostat from the filterhousing?
Why?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0