Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
So Pokey, where are you going to mount your non-M gauges?
3D Design ash tray pod, and pending the results of this thread, I might mount a gauge in the same place as the OP. Non-M's really need four gauges IMHO - oil pressure, oil temp, boost, and AFR. While the AEM failsafe has both boost and AFR readouts, I'm not sure the boost resolution is there for those of us running 6-10 psi, and I prefer an analog needle for certain things. The pod with an additional dash gauge would be perfect in that it would provide four spots.

A little OT - I checked out Speed Hut thanks to this thread. They have some awesome customization options. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to side with OP as far as wanting analog gauges. I've always been drawn to knobs over push buttons, and swinging needles over a digital readout. It's much easier to glance down and immediately know if things are normal by the position of the needle. Digital gauges require an extra step of mental processing, unless they have a sweeping LED (which still isn't as good as a needle). If you set up your gauges properly, all the needles should point in the same direction during normal conditions - for example, 12 o'clock is normal operating temp for oil and coolant, and the oil pressure median is around 12 o'clock. When you look down, all needles should be pointing towards 12 o'clock. You can quickly determine if a needle is out of place, and if the reading is high or low. You could use any value for the normal conditions (9 o'clock is common in aircraft), just make sure all the gauges are oriented the same direction. I'd say the exception is for wideband, because we're programmed to want to see a specific number. With the Speed Hut gauges, I'm able to customize gauges that point a specific direction during normal operation, based on scale and range. Oh yeah, it helps that you can add your own logo. VF Engineering will be getting free advertising out of my gauge setup . I don't know why supercharger companies don't offer the option of purchasing a boost gauge with their logo on it.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0