View Single Post
      04-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK613 View Post
I've had a different hood rattle problem. When parked on an uneven surface I noticed that the front corner of the hood (driver's side) was up slightly 1/4". Turned out that side was not latched, no amount of pushing would get it to latch.
Here's my work around, maybe you have a better approach? Basically I cycle the problem latch: after unlatching, take a screwdriver and manually push the hook to the latched position and then pull the hood release. After that I can just drop the hood from abou 12" it it will latch on both sides.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
You may want to try to adjust the vertical position of the latch in the hood using the method I explained earlier. Maybe the latch is not far enough down for the latch to engage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN34 View Post
I have Version #2 on the link that you posted. I open the hood last night.. the passenger side ejector didn't pop up like the driver side.

So I use a screw driver and try to turn 90 degrees to let it pop up. However, once I put a little force on it... the pin/ejector went all the way in and fell straight through onto the belly tray.

So was it broken? or I can pick it back up and re-use it?

I have to decide whether I need to jack the car up and look for that pin if it's re-usable.
I had these break once already, bought new ones, and they also broke. So, I decided I'm not buying any more of these from BMW since there's obviously something wrong with them. I took all of the spring-loaded guts out of the bump stop and backed them out about 3 or 4 turns so they stand higher, but they don't have the spring loaded ejector.

It seems to work pretty well for me so far. There's still the opportunity and the need for adjustment of the rubber bump stop and the metal latch to get things just right (flush when latched and not rattling).
Appreciate 0