View Single Post
      06-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I think I may be able to shed a little light on why there's such a variance between your experience and that of some other folks.

The NT05 is a square shouldered and much stiffer sidewall tire. Star Specs, NT05s, anything with a stiff and square sidewall seems to do alright at the minimum recommended rim size (9" is min for the 275/35/18 tire). The PSS does not. It seems to need to run in the middle of the rim width range.

I ran the PSS's 275 on a 9" and 245s on an 8" wheel on the wife's car and they were horrible. The tire "crowned" and only the center was providing a contact patch (confirmed via pyrometer). Man were they bad on the road or on the track--pushing at the front and no rear traction! Just as you described.

But, I put the same PSS tires on a 9" front and 9.5" rear wheel, bang, very sticky! I can't compare them to PS2s, but compared to themselves it was like a different tire.

For the price, the NT05 is a good summer tire. The PSS is a great rain tire as well, and the NT05 is not. If you don't have need of that capability, the NT05, Direzza II, and a few others may be a better deal price-wise.
Appreciate 0