View Single Post
      09-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #94
Mr. Monday
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
So you are not working with an M Z4 then. Makes sense. You still have steering linkage though, right? And even with bushings the steering won't feel the same because you are modifying physical linkage between wheel and rack.

As far as heat goes it's no big deal. That linkage is all steel and if you care about it that much you could heat wrap it with ceramic wrap or some other heat resistant solution. It would be fine I guarantee it. Just use some Anti-seize on the linkage bolts.

S65 is same weight as an S54. No difference at all really.

S85 will be heavier than S65 by a lot because of older vanos tech and the two extra cylinders. I have seen a build thread of a hellrot roadster taking an s85. They are doing the swap same way I am by using entire E92 harness and electronics. Easiest way. No rewiring or programming at all really. They did it in Russia

Just my .02
I do still have a linkage, it is not steer by wire, although that would be convenient considering the headers. I wasn't referring to modifying the linkage, if I had to do that then the project wouldn't be worth doing. I was just saying that EPS can be improved.

The S65 is actually 33lb lighter than the S54 and the S54 is 51lb lighter than the S85. The extra 51lb could be adjusted for but I would much rather have the lighter S65 partially because of fuel efficiency and I really don't need 500+ hp.

I figured that would be the best way to do things, strip down the entire car and install the e90 m3 electronics. Although, it would be really nice to keep the z4 gauge cluster so that it doesn't end up looking like a frankencar.
Appreciate 0