View Single Post
      04-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Not to say that people who drive their cars stock aren't enthusiasts, but you can typically tell who is driving a BMW because of the car rather than an image, especially based on how the owner has modified them. Just yesterday gave a mutual wave/thumbsup with a guy in a E36 M3 with Fikse wheels - now someone obsessed with image isn't going to throw those wheels on a 12-16yr old car...the average consumer can't tell the difference between those and a $400 set of ASAs (not hating on ASA just sayin')

I really do hate to be judgmental about "real" enthusiasts vs. otherwise, but IMO the friendliest BMW drivers are ones with the BMWCCA sticker, or with "performance" oriented mods. A stock E46 330 with 10k angel eyes and the driver reclined halfway to Munich is not (typically) going to as receptive and enthusiastic as one with a lightweight set of wheels and some decent rubber. They are also more likely to not drive like a jackass around you to prove something after acknowledging each other, as mature enthusiasts know there is a time and place for this. Again, I'm generalizing, which is always going to get you in trouble in one way or another, but using a bit of discretion will help you weed out the Z4's driven by 40 something interior designers because the car is "cute" from those who drive it because they are an "enthusiast"

While I make no delusions I am driving an Italian exotic or anything, I do realize that it's certainly not a car people see every day, and it's certainly not the most "discrete" either. I had a guy talking on his phone outside of his 3 series give me a thumbs up and I waved back. I parked to get some lunch, and he had found me and was behind me in his car, asking me about the car. Sure it was drizzling slightly, but not crazy and it turned out the guy used to track 911s before his family responsibilities and the economy caught up. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, we chatted for a few minutes, and went on our way. No doubt in my mind he dug up some old pictures of his Porsches that night... Take compliments with sincere appreciation, and if it really is a bad time to take a few minutes and talk say so thoughtfully.
Appreciate 0