View Single Post
      04-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #94
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

To the original poster: From all the various types of responses I've read... it seems for a 17 yr old... you're quite mature. I don't think a there's much more you can do if you're too hot into a corner and hit gravel or loose sand at that point, from what I know...it appears that there is no longer a driver and passenger situation...it's just two passengers until the car slows down and gets traction or hits an object.

I disagree with some members that you shouldn't give a teenager a M coupe or X car. I believe anyone can hurt themselves in a yugo or a supercar. I think just last year for local SoCal folks heard the news of an adult driving a supercar costing $200K+ on PCH and crashing into tow truck and died instantly in flames both the driver and passenger.

If I had a kid..I would rather give him or her a sport bike than a scooter or moped. The moped is a death machine... too slow to brake, and too slow to accelerate out of a problem...no handling. Sport bike you can lean your way out of trouble of a car cutting into your lane, braking, or speeding your way out. Same goes with a sports car or super car vs a yugo or corolla. Either cars can go to terminal speeds...it's down to the driver's ability to drive without getting into trouble. It doesn't sound like reckless driving...but a little bit of not spotting the road conditions....accidents happens...just learn from it.

3rd gear low rpms is about 40 to 50 mph... my estimate. If you couldn't save it with a M...than another other car you would be worse shape. I'm sure as the driver you have more guilt than you ever thought you want to deal with...but the positive side is that you're both alive and didn't take anyone else out. It's a learning experience to grow from. Glad to read you're both getting better!
Appreciate 0