View Single Post
      08-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

CAUTION - Convertible Top Z's....

My 07 Z4M R's build date was Nov 06 and I hadn't cleaned and applied fabric guard in its 10 3/4 yrs. It rains on occasion in Seattle (48 in between Oct and Apr) so I wanted to perform this prior to Autumn.

I cleaned the top using 303 Convertible Top Cleaner; i read the 303 Fabric Guard instructions which stated to immediately remove any Fabric Guard over-spray from finished surfaces immediately. Out of caution, I took the time to mask off all windows and protect all painted surfaces. Following instructions which state not to over-apply the product, there was still very small residual amounts that leached onto finished surfaces. Since the instructions call for applying in 70F sun (this happens on occasion in Seattle), I found removing the small amount of rubbing alcohol, it cut the 303 Fabric Guard from the finished surfaces.

The take-away is this: Ensure you utilize and then remove the masked protection (tape, newspaper, etc) and immediately remove any 303 Fabric Guard that has touched the finished surfaces.