View Single Post
      06-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #11
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
The only downside with the conversion is the loss of sport button functionality.
It’s been a while since I poked around with this, but the sport button functionality can be enabled. Requires some hardware modifications to the DME and the appropriate software switches to be triggered. I had it working on my e46 zhp before I sold it.

Edit: Found my old pictures and notes:

Software changes:

LC_VAR_SOF_SWI_MON: 00 -> 01
C_V_SOF_SWI_ON_BOL_MON: 00EC (1.15v) -> 00F6 (1.2v)
C_V_SOF_SW_ON_TOL_MON: 020A (2.55v) -> 0200 (2.5v)
LC_VAR_SOF_SWI: 00 -> 01

Middle two are probably not strictly necessary

Hardware changes:

Add a ~7nf cap to the highlighted spot (will be empty on the MS45.1)

Add the items labeled in red above (the items in yellow appear to be for an unused button)

You will have to remove a 10kΩ resistor that's present on the MS45.1 in place of the 10 nf capacitor (see below)

The actual status LED is a bit broadcast over CAN, which is read by the EPS ECU which triggers the LED. E46 doesn't have such a thing, so I built a little arduino circuit to read the bit and trigger the LED. Nowadays you could probably use cheaper / more compact hardware to do the same (I last worked on this 7 years ago apparently). That's probably also something that would need to be considered for cars that convert to hydraulic power steering. It may also be possible to modify the DME code to trigger some output based on the sport switch, but I didn't dig too deep into whether there are any suitable unused outputs.

Last edited by Terraphantm; 06-09-2023 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 2