06-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
I want a GT tire that I can take to the track a couple times without shredding. I'm not too concerned about track times, mostly about longevity and street manners.
I have to agree with Sean re: the Star Specs. I have the newer version, Direzza II, on my E36 M3 which primarily sees track time. The tires are reasonably quiet (I'd expect them to get louder as they age), wonderful grip, predictable in terms of break-away, and very responsive and confidence inspiring.

I think you have to prioritize goals. Rain capability comes largely at the loss of track capability (tread block size and pattern, as well as compound). Noise seems to go somewhat hand in hand with higher performance, grip, stiff sidewalls, and other performance-based construction.

The PSS is a fairly good compromise tire, but it is a compromise. It's very good in the rain, and the sets I've been exposed to are pretty quiet. Pretty good grip, but not extreme summer tire (Star Spec or equivalent) grip. It's got a softer sidewall (ride comfort, noise reduction, harshness reduction, at expense of reaction time), does heat up and get a bit greasy on track under heavy use (but I haven't heard of "shredding"), and it's pricey.

Bottom line all three things you want may not be available in the same tire. They may be there to some degree, but you'll have to give on something IMO.
Appreciate 0