03-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Frank,

Once you exit turn 11 and straighten out, directly in front of you will be an 8 or 12 inch section of the gator at turn 12 has broken away. It is just a section of the corner edge of the gator that is missing. That is your turn point.

I have not been to VIR since my incident so I don’t know if the turn in marker for turn 12 (Oak Tree) is still there with the addition of the FIA curbing.
Thanks, Ship.

I confirmed that the car WILL go nicely around Oak Tree at 39.0 mph, but WILL NOT make it around at 46.2 when you don't brake! At least not with my tires...

I know just where you're talking about. What I was working on was positioning the car with a better--less acute--attitude relative to 12, and getting out to the point you describe while doing so. Got that part better toward the end of the weekend, now I just need to drive a shorter line to that point, making it more of a single arc. Randy does that really well, looks to me.

The FIA curbing looks to be all outside the old curbing, and didn't notice any effective changes due to that, unless you're jumping the curbs by about four feet.

Looking forward to your next update on the car--hopefully it's the 'all done" update.