View Single Post
      12-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #12
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Ok wow I thought I was the only one having these issues. Dumb this down for me if you don't mind please; I/K buss? Reloading firmware into the SAS? As you can tell, I'm not educated on this. maybe there's a thread on this..?
This is a bit over simplified but hopefully gets the concept across. Instead of discrete wires going from each of your steering wheel buttons or the other sensors and accessories in the car, they're connected by a single wire serial digital communications buss. Each item has a unique digital address and there's a protocol used for them all to communicate with each other. Assembly wise it saves a crap load of wiring, from a design standpoint it saves weight, and from a reliability stand point it reduces a bunch of connectors that could contribute to failures. The down side is that if there's an issue with one item on the serial data buss, it corrupts or stops the communications between all the items on the buss, so you get a bunch of things that go wonky or just cease to function. The Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) acts as an intermediate data hub (similar to a USB hub for your PC accessories) so if it has a communications issue a lot of stuff is impacted.

Last edited by dc_wright; 12-19-2017 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0