View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
Sounds like your last high school english class, right?

I've been pining for an M coupe but there are only about 50 of them ('06-'08) in existence in the color I really want. So I'm entertaining the notion of a roadster as it's more likely I can find what I want (and at a lower price) if I widen my options.

However, I would like to track the car. The BMW CCA here in CO doesn't let roadsters into their DEs, although I know other clubs do (and open lapping days have allowed them).

So the question is, what kind of performance compromises would I be making in going to the roadster? I assume they are heavier, but how much? What about stiffness decreases, and how does this impact handling? Finally, I expect that the cloth top has an increased maintenance/repair cost - how are those holding up now that the cars are 5-6 years old?

(And if you know of a space grey M coupe that's available, let me know! I'm willing to travel/ship the right car...)
Dont settle. There are many owners of Ms on here that have gone from M roadster to M coupe and the other way too. I suggest you make up your mind and go for the one you think you are going to want most. Its not becoming any easier to find Ms so try and make up your mind the first time around.

The roadster is about half as stiff as the coupe BUT its still stiffer than 90% of sports cars (coupes included) out there, the coupe just happens to be exceptionally stiff...

I bought the coupe because it was always my dream car, while the roadster was not. For me, you cant beat the looks.

I suggest maybe taking a look at the other silvers out there. I owned a z4coupe in silver gray and was dead set on getting a silver gray M coupe. I ended up finding a Ti-silver M coupe and i really couldn't be happier. The color is just perfect.

Good luck with your search, i suggest that when you find the right one you jump on it ASAP, the good ones dont last long.
Appreciate 0