View Single Post
      05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

What is going on with my M brakes????

My car is on it's 4th or 5th set of brake rotors over the last 3.5 years and 18k miles. I bought the car last July at the dealer with 8k miles. It had a slight judder when braking from highway speeds when I bought it but I got new rotors put on last fall. It started to occur again and new rotors and pads were put on in March. Now it is at the dealer again for the same problem. Each time, the dealer tells me that the rotors are out of spec--the last time with runout of .0015" or more. The rotors look new or barely worn. I am very light on my brakes and most of my driving is expressway with little braking. In fact, my 2003 530i (also with manual transmission) still has the original pads and rotors and they still work perfectly with no vibrations at all. Is there anyone on this board that has had similar experience and can give some ideas as to what could be causing rotor runout and vibrations within 3 months or so with no hard driving? I've tried "bedding in" the brakes and this has had no effect. This is driving me crazy and the car is going to be out of warranty after this year. I certainly can't afford to replace rotors several times a year on my nickel.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0