View Single Post
      01-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
If you read the post you quoted in detail, you'll see that I mentioned my E30 M3 has ducting and weighs less than a Z4M (~2500lbs without driver). It is slightly faster than the bone stock Z4M on a tight course. It does have smaller rotors, but that is not a huge consideration for the overall energy balance in prolonged use.

Yes, the Z4M brake vents on the bumper are not very effective (although I did not unblock them completely), and that is pretty much my point.

I wrote "I began" to overheat the front rotors after 3.5 hot laps. Specifically, start at ambient temp, end >500C at paddock without cool down lap after time trial. You can see where that would go if I were to put in 3-5 more hot laps.

Paddock rotor temp was ~600C after 20 minutes in a regular session (not all hot laps) and pads were smoking when I came in. No fade or failure, but if I put 3-5 hot laps on top of that, something could give. (Keep in mind on track peak temperatures are higher than these numbers).
Brake less, it's just that simple. System has it's capacity. It's possible for a race car to be able to use their brakes freely (not even all of them), not going to happen easily in a street car. Even once the OP has his stoptechs on they will have their capacity, and it's still very achievable for a 3,200 lb car on rcomps.

Not many people install forced brake cooling in street cars.