05-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
P0011 and P0016

2006 Z4MR with 78k miles on the clock. Getting ready to add a Megan Racing catless header and tune from pokeybritches (Severn Tuning).

No dash lights on at all, and before reading my baseline ECU to send off for the tune to be built on, I used INPA to check for any trouble codes. There were two codes P0011 and P0016, and neither were very specific. I will attach the INPA error code detail pic when I get home later today.

I have been chasing a sporadic rough idle (only when fully warmed up) for the past ~4 weeks. Cleaned the MAF sensor, and the car ran totally fine for about a 3k mile road trip. No codes at all thrown at this point.

Since then, these codes have been thrown and cleared twice. No SES light either time. Car will start and idle normally, once up to temp, some spirited driving pulls normally up to 7k rpm’s. At stoplights, idle is still fine, but then after a few more miles, rough idle starts and the two codes get thrown.

If I turn the car off for a few seconds and then restart it, the idle is immediately smooth again (~870 rpm).

About three years ago, I rebuilt the VANOS with a Besian oil pump disk and rebuilt solenoid, fist full of viton o-rings and new hub bolts. I replaced the upper timing chain guide while I was in there.

Adaptations per INPA are within spec. Intake at 1* and exhaust at 4*.

So yesterday I reset the VANOS adaptations after clearing the codes, and took the car for another drive. Same outcome with rough idle only once fully warm P0011 and P0016 codes got thrown without any SES light.

Cleared the codes and now I’m wondering what to look at next:

Remove and clean the solenoid pack and VANOS filter?

Troubleshoot cam and crank position sensors?

Evaluate a worn/stretched timing chain?

I’d like to figure this out before putting the headers and tune on. Appreciate any thoughts folks may have on this!
Appreciate 0