View Single Post
      10-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.0si View Post
this is good news for dubbedown! if JCz04Bimmer was able to run 265's on the front of his ///m, certainly a 245 square setup will fit on a non-///m. clearly my math earlier is missing a variable...
The variable is CAMBER and, to a lesser extent, the springs you are running. If you run more than 2.5 degrees of negative camber, you have more flexibility. You can run a more aggressive offset (lower number; wheels further out) which keeps you from getting close to the damper/spring while still clearing the outside fender wall. Also, if you run a progressive spring (OEM, KW, H&R, etc) you have a bit less room on the strut-side. If you run a linear spring (TC Kline, Ground Control), then you have a bit more room on the strut-side.

I can't remember what the offset was when I ran the 265's but I think it was around 40. Maybe high 30s.

My advise when it comes to fitting oversized tires is to go with a less aggressive offset (read: high number) and use spacers to get it just right. When spacers are installed properly, they're absolutely fine.