03-14-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Service engine light, strange sound, vibrations... help

Driving home earlier tonight and on some back roads I got on it hard into 2nd. About a mile later the service engine light came on, the engine sounded like it was cammed and it was vibrating. I was only about a half mile from home so I was able to get it back without issues. My best guess is at least one cylinder isn't firing properly, but I'm not a mechanic so I don't know for sure. I just had the car serviced a few months ago, and drove the car from D.C. to the the southern most part of mainland Florida when my girlfriend and I moved here 2 months ago (awesome drive BTW) and the car did perfectly fine on the that trip.

The closest mechanic I would trust is about 20 miles away so I'm a bit hesitant to just try and limp it there and not sure how much a tow truck will cost. Is there anything I can look for myself without completely taking the engine apart to give me a clue as to what happened? Ignition coils, spark plugs, anything like that? And what would I be looking for? And with the issues I've said, how bad would it be to drive the car either 20 miles to a garage or even a couple miles to an auto zone to have the code scanned?

Thanks in advance for any help. It's been forever since I had the time to post on here, hate to come back with issues.

Last edited by Nate4641; 03-14-2017 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0