View Single Post
      02-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

i've had these on for about 3 years, they are definitely a big help.

2 situations where the make a big difference.

one, bottoming out on speed bumps, angled driveways, etc. the skid plate just slides over instead of sanding down the bumper fangs.

two, hitting a rock or piece of debris. here they can actually make a big difference. i hit a big (baseball sized) rock, it struck right in the center of the bottom edge of one of the bumper fangs. the skid plate absorbed most of the impact and dented a bit, and the bumper got a small gouge. looking at the way the skid plate dented, i'm confident that rock would have taken a huge chunk out of the fang if the skid plate wasn't there. i took the skid plate off, hit if with a hammer to flatten it back out, and put it back on good as new.

some people were concerned about the skid plate getting "caught" on something like a curb and tearing the bottom of the bumper off. this is extremely unlikely. if you hook enough of the bumper/skid plate on something to really tear a big chunk of the bumper off, then the presence of the skid plate isn't making a difference, you would have torn that chunk off anyway. I saw this because the skid plate is only held on with a couple screws on each side; if you hook just the skid plate somehow and none of the bumper lip above it, you'll just tear those screws off the bottom edge of the bumper. which will be irritating but not that hard to fix with a little fiberglass.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50