View Single Post
      05-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #468
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Now that's a good comparison. Essentially, a skilled driver will get more out of a Mustang, but average drivers will probably do better with the BRZ. The big thing I wonder about is whether 20-something male buyers will go for the driver's-car experience over brute strength bragging rights. Tuning demands for the toyburu will be immediate and intense.

As I said, the Toyobaru matches a base Cayman both for the handling characteristics and the lack of engine torque. But, because the tyres are way thinner, the weight lower and it's a FR layout the Toyobaru is more fun, no doubt.

Even EVO in their best Toyobaru comparo to date while testing with the vastly inferior automatic version (the wheel torque is even lower) ends up saying exactly that without even be aware of it:

Quote:
The great shame of all this is that the rest of the car is a class act. The steering is direct, quick-witted and very accurate, the brakes have plenty of bite and progression and the damping strikes a sweet balance between tautness and pliancy for a harmonious relationship with road surface. It's strong grip on dry roads actually means you can carry terrific momentum through the corners without drawing attention to yourself. Conversely you really have to throw it at a bend to achieve a slide worthy of a cornering shot, which is less than subtle and rather defeats the promise of this being a car to enjoy at less than banzai speed.
This clearly is Cayman territory. Period. I know, I've been there...

Appreciate 0