iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
[...]honestly, i can sense your "alittle" dissapointed [...]
Not gonna lie; after putting as many miles on the kit as I have due to the drive to SoCal, I'm downright concerned. To review:

1) Problems with the tune persist and definitely won't be going away. I'm willing to believe the crank pulley will at least mostly solve these and I can use my Direct Flash to upload a new file from ESS if necessary. I've also noticed vibration at higher RPM, probably due to the under-tensioned belt, so I can't do any more pulls above ~4k until it's fixed. This is a particular bummer because I'm in SoCal to show the car to all my friends (most of whom are down here); I don't make it down more than twice a year and don't want to put that many miles on the car even that frequently, usually flying.
2) Based your and Tom's descriptions, there's definitely something wrong with the BPV, even though all connections look good. It's extremely annoying and I hope it doesn't take too long for ESS to diagnose as well as fix. The noise is definitely not the supercharger because slight adjustment of the throttle position can make it start or stop completely, almost instantly. It's just on the balance of speed/throttle where the BPV is starting to recirculate.
3) The past two cold startups of the car--both before my long drive (when setting out) and this morning, included a horrendous screeching/almost metal scraping noise for ~5 seconds, which then goes away and doesn't come back. I can only hope this is part of the break-in process of the supercharger; perhaps the compressor wheel actually touches the housing when it's completely cold, but I never heard a description of this problem. I never expected it would happen again this morning after ~500 miles more on the kit, so tomorrow morning I'll have the camera running for the startup.

None of this is against ESS, because it's pretty established knowledge that their kits define the benchmark of aftermarket quality, but it looks like I've just been pretty unlucky in attaining the typically problem-free install.

Last edited by iPhoneEngineer; 07-18-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Appreciate 0