08-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #38
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I wish that were true, the reality is more like I'm on a budget!

Update on the wheel - it's been about 6-7k miles (not sure how many rubs that is) since I've first laid hands on it, and it's starting to show a little wear around the 10 o'clock hand rest. It looks a bit matted and is slightly glossy in the light. I should mention that I make no attempts to keep it in good shape (french fries while driving) and I haven't tried to clean/restore it at all. The rest of the wheel is looking pretty good still. Despite what she says, my wife chipped the vinyl on the bottom trim piece, so I have to re-wrap that again too.

In the fall I'm going to try another wrap. I think this time around I'm going to use the sewing machine just for making even holes in the fabric, and then I'm going to thread by hand. That way I can use some super thick stuff that I can really yank on and make tight.
And you're modest too! haha but really this is not as easy as you make it seem. I've tried some leatherwork and it's not one of my high points lol. This looks like a really high quality job though, and a lot of good work gets done on a budget, it just requires more effort and creativity. Alcantara is naturally higher maintanence but very worth it. I would be curious to see if a thin leather would work on the trim pieces.
Appreciate 0