11-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006E85 View Post
Or did someone try and peel it off

I can't remember the last time I hit light speed.
Yes! I was P!SSED to discover on the morning of November 1st that my roundel was no longer blue and white, but solid silver, as the entire upper decal had been peeled off. I was sure it was some nitwit prank on Halloween night, but oddly, there was no sign of any attempt to pry off the full emblem - only the top colored part was gone.

The dealer had a new roundel in stock, and I replaced it - still P!SSED, but thankful that the reprobates had not used a screwdriver to pry it off, thereby wrecking the hood paint.

Later that day I noticed the full emblem part sitting under a bush in my front yard - so obviously it was not pulled as a 'trophy' - but had simply blown off. While I've now learned that this seems to be common with these E85 emblems, I've never had this issue with any other BMW I've owned - go figure.

When you replace the roundel, note that it is a different installation than the standard 'push in, with rubber grommets' configuration. This roundel emblem has two prongs that go all the way through the hood sheet metal and are then fastened from the underneath/engine compartment area with two lock-nuts - so be sure to get the lock-nuts too. The fan shroud needs to come off for access to the underside, and it is tight! I used a deep socket (10mm I think) to fasten mine down (actually, up), although I had just carefully pried the old one off from the top, because I didn't know any better. The deep socket is definitely needed to clear the prongs as the lock-nut is tightened up the shaft. They are too tight to simply be pushed up.