View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You have to be very careful here and do a little risk management.

The Safety Information Module (SIM) of the Advance Safety Electronics (ASE) system evaluates the severity of each crash into four levels:

CS=Crash Severity
CS 0: no crash (parking damage)
CS 1: light crash
CS 2: crash of medium severity
CS 3: severe crash

For example, in the event of a front-end crash, a distinction is made between crash severity "light to medium collision" (CS 1/CS 2) or "severe collision" (CS 3).
In the case of crash severity from light to medium collision, the driver's/front passenger's airbag are not triggered if it is detected that the occupants are wearing seatbelts.

If the occupants are not wearing seatbelts, the driver's and front passenger's airbag would be triggered.
The seatbelt tensioners are triggered in all cases.

If you do bypass the Hall-Effect sensors and forget to put the belt on and have a mishap above a 'parking damage' (CS 0), then you as the driver will have NO active or passive protection since the air bags will NOT deploy exposing you to potentially bad injuries. If you do this to your passenger seat belt, you really must be diligent.

Now you also have to also evaluate the legal aspects. I don't know the actual data/law, but I would be willing to bet that if you had a mishap and were injured and the insurance company found out you were not wearing a seatbelt, then did some more investigation and then discovered that you had disabled some of the 'airbag interlocks', you may open yourself up to having the insurance company disallow your medical claim. You can take this even further and forget to tell your passenger and this happens, they could sue the crap out of you and you are definitely liable with no insurance backup..

I am not saying not to do this mod, but you have to do some careful thinking on this.
Appreciate 0